Nov 5, 2021

And then Lucie had Cancer

 



It started with a limp on October 22. By Oct 25 it was no better so I called our Vet who was on vacation. I took the first appointment I could get when he returned on November 1 as her limp was getting worse but was not bad. Our Vet is still doing curbside so their tech took her in to him to be looked at. When he came out to talk to me he said he had her walking in the yard with him and she didn't limp once. He wanted to do X-Rays which is what I wanted as well. When he asked me to come inside to look at the X-Ray I knew it was bad.

He showed me on the X-Ray the difference at the top of her left Humerus bone from her right Humerus. Cancer was the diagnosis. He then went on to explain how bad and aggressive bane cancer is. But at this point the bone was intact. I'm glad I was wearing a mask as it helped to catch the tears that I tried my best to hold back but just couldn't. The information was overwhelming. Surgery was not an option for her. She already had bad reactions to pain meds earlier in the year so how to move forward was difficult and bone cancer is horribly painful. I remember "quality of life" and soul searching decision. 

We wanted Lucie's internist at MedVet to review the X-Ray. His review confirmed cancer. The internist recommended radiation therapy as our only hope. He said it has the potential to drastically reduce her pain level. MedVet doesn't do radiation therapy so we made an emergency appointment at VSNT on November 8. 

With her birth defect we knew that she could go at any time since she was little. Never in a million years did I expect cancer to find her. We only want what's best for her. Her quality of life is the only thing that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WOOF!
We would love to hear from you!