Oct 5, 2018

Week Five After TPLO Surgery


Same old same old up to this week. At the beginning of week five Addie decided that she didn't want me to do the passive range motion exercises any more. I almost thought maybe they were uncomfortable which is why she was resisting. Also, when I would run my finger up her leg where the stitches were, I could feel something poking out. My fear has always been that a screw would come loose.

Hailey was due for her annual exam so I brought Addie along for a quick check. Our vet was beyond thrilled with how Addie was walking when he first saw her. After he examined her he said she looks fabulous! He stated it's normal for them to resist the exercises at this point. When I take her out for potty breaks she is doing her own PT. She's putting weight on it and is walking a million times better than before the surgery. She still has a little more than 2 weeks before we can start short walks and a total of 6 more weeks of confinement. But I am so very thrilled that she is progressing so well. I asked if there was anything else that I should be doing for her and he said no. He couldn't be happier with how she looks. That thing that I felt poking out on her knee is an internal stitch. YAAY!

I was surprised when he stated that the majority of dogs that he sees who have this surgery don't have any rehab at all. And that after 6 months they are running around like nothing had every happened. I have been following my instructions closely so she has the best chance of recovery.

After researching and seeing what other vets recommend for their treatment plans, some are very aggressive. I see now that what I'm doing for Addie works really well.

Hailey's appointment went well too except she needs to loose weight. Don't we all :)


3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Addie! We are loving your smile and yours too, Hailey! Mom says that I'm too plump too. Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, there is a black band running horizontally across the first half of your post so we can't read it. But we did see the Facebook yesterday and are so glad things are going well for Addie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Tommy. We tested this post on windows edge, chrome and foxfire. All look fine on our screen. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

WOOF!
We would love to hear from you!