Aug 24, 2009

Working Addie at Petco

On Sunday I worked with Addie in the front and back yard reinforcing heel, sit, down and stay. Then the two of us headed to Petco to continue working but with more distractions. In the parking lot at Petco she got a little anxious, not knowing which way to go. I had her focus on me with praise and a treat when she listened to me and she was fine. 

We then walked into Petco and immediately came upon a young family with two girls around 5 and 6 years of age. The mom had a baby that she was holding and the dad was pushing a cart. They immediately noticed Addie and asked me about her. I asked if it the girls would like to pet her and the mom said sure! I brought Addie over to them had her sit and the rest was magic! The girls were in love with her petting her all over, Addie gave them kisses. I praised Addie for being a good girl. Addie gave me a look like, I know what I'm doing and can be a good girl. 

After that we made our way around the store practicing all of her commands. She did just great! For some reason the fish department freaks her out a little bit. I'm not sure why. She was afraid of one of the displays so I gave her a moment to smell and look at it and then praised her for being brave and exploring. 

Being such a good girl, I let her pick a prize. Addie chose a hoof. I never buy these but I could not turn her down. I picked up one for her and for Lucie and we headed to the checkout counter. Once we got up there I placed Addie in a sit and stay. As always, I found many items in addition to the prize that Addie picked that I couldn't leave without. While the gentleman rang up all of the items, Addie sat and waited. She watched her hoof sitting on the counter and waited patiently as he packed up all of our items. Then it was out to the car and back home. While we are waiting on the new collar, I am still using the choke chain. But the big difference on this trip is she did not pull. I only used the chain sparingly when needed. The combination of lots of praise, a good treat, a very loose leash and the chain worked perfectly for her.

I am very proud of Addie! I know she has it in her to follow commands and adding additional opportunities for her to learn is making her more comfortable in public.

My Happy Addie!

17 comments:

  1. goood girl Addie......we sure know when and how to behave, don't we?????

    we can always fool those silly hoomans....bol my furiend ....
    chikisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, You Guys...

    Addie, you are such a good girl...

    Your Mom must be sooo proud...

    How was the hoof???

    Abby xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Addie you musta been a real good dawg to get a hoof. We've never gotted one of those.

    Mawmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    Bobo and Meja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Addie! We often go to the pet stores to 'practice' our commands too.

    Elizabeth & Luna

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job addie - pet stores are very distracting so many smells

    Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOowowoooooo!!!!
    You're soooooooooooooooo good dear Addie!!!!!
    Well done!!!
    We're very very evry proud of you!!!!!!
    And honored to be your friends!!!!!
    Awwwwwwwwww.....
    we would love to see the pics with the girls while they're pampering you...
    sure you was been wonderful!!!!
    WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
    And you look GORGEOUS and soooooooooooo happy!!!!!
    HAve a wonderful week with all your family!!!!
    Tons of ove and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowowow! You're doing a great job, Addie! I love to pick out treats at the Petco, too, but I am never quite so, um, well-behaved. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good girl ...hihi girls are always GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOOF,Misty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just poped bye to tell you that i have got a new blog address.
    http://sally.nemati.multilang.over-blog.com/

    Nice wuuuh
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Job Addie!

    My dachshunds are on flat collars; I don't leash correct them, as I'm afraid of damaging their throat. But I don't use the collar to teach them not to pull.

    For dogs pulling is very rewarding because they can get to what they want faster.

    So what I do is make myself more rewarding.I'll start off walking slowly dropping treats by my feet, this way its waay more fun to stay with mom than pull. Than we can gradually speed up, and drop treats less often. I'm a very visual learner, so I'm like always watching/recommending videos lol: So (once again) this video helped me a lot with Texas!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ&feature=PlayList&p=F09632A4A4BD3DDC&index=7

    HTH!!

    Erin & The Furry Crew

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a remarkable trip to Petco, so many distractions, slippery floor, new smells. Good girl, Addie. Mom wonders if she hears all the motors running in the fish tanks and they bother her ears.

    Woos, the OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Addie! You is a Very Good Dawg! Mebbe even a better Very Good Dawg then me cause I never gets to go to the store.

    Yer pal Dozer

    ReplyDelete

WOOF!
We would love to hear from you!